DIY: Snacks for a Summer Movie Marathon
June 27, 2023
This summer is going to see the releases of some much-anticipated new Disney movies. Whether you’re watching the latest offering or just prepping for it by revisiting the classics, the secret to the perfect movie marathon is the snacks you make to go with it. And, sure, you could just go with the classic popcorn-and-soda combo, but why not make the experience extra special by creating unique snacks that match the movie? To help you get in the mood, here are recipes inspired by Disney and Pixar’s Elemental (only in theaters June 16), Peter Pan & Wendy (now streaming on Disney+), and The Little Mermaid (now playing in theaters). And don’t forget that if you’re heading to the theater, Disney® Visa® Credit Cardmembers can redeem Disney Rewards Dollars toward Disney and Pixar movie tickets at AMCTheatres.com or on the AMC Theatres Mobile App.1
Peter Pan & Wendy Treasure Map “Pizza”
You’ll turn eating into an adventure with this Peter Pan & Wendy-inspired baked focaccia treasure map. Follow the black olive trail past pepperoni mountains and mushroom Skull Rock until you find the red pepper X that marks the spot. The route is filled with both fun and flavor, thanks to lots of healthy herbs and savory sausage. Best of all, you can create an entirely new journey every time you make it!
- Focaccia base
- Tomato sauce
- Red pepper
- Black olives
- Start with a premade pizza dough or focaccia base and bake as directed.
- Layer the sauce, cheese and toppings—shaping some of the toppings to look like your favorite Neverland landmarks.
- Bake again until toppings are cooked.
The Little Mermaid Clamshell Cookies
These sweet treats inspired by The Little Mermaid are easy to prepare—no dinglehopper (fork) or baking required! Madeleine “shells” open to reveal colorful frosting and a gleaming, sugary “pearl.” They’re so good they might leave you speechless, but not in an Ursula kind of way!
- Madeleine cookies
- White whipped frosting
- Food coloring
- Candy pearls
- Take your favorite white whipped frosting and place it in separate bowls.
- Using food coloring, dye the frosting, mixing colors to create a color pallet with teal, coral, dark mauve and blush.
- Put the frosting into piping bags and swirl on one half of your madeleine cookie (or any vanilla cookie with a shell-like shape).
- Place a second cookie on top of the frosting and decorate with a candy pearl.
Elemental Fire and Ice Smoothie
Opposites react in this colorful layered smoothie, which is packed with berries and creamy yogurt. The two halves nod to the main characters of Elemental: red for brightly blazing Ember, and blue for go-with-the-flow Wade. Each half is delicious on its own, but just like Ember and Wade learn in the movie, they’re best when they go together. Don’t miss Disney and Pixar’s Elemental, only in theaters June 16.
- Purple pea flower
- Crushed ice
- Raspberry acai juice
- Fresno chili
- Crushed ice
- Extra berries
- Blend all the blue ingredients and pour into a glass.
- Blend all the red ingredients and carefully pour over the blue section.
- Top with garnishes, such as a sprig of mint, half-moon orange slice or berries on a toothpick.
If you want to revisit other Disney reimaginings like Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin, or rewatch some earlier Pixar movies while chowing down, remember that when you use your Disney® Premier Visa® Card to pay for your Disney+ subscription, you’re able to earn back up to $13.99 per month for up to three consecutive months in statement credits.2
Always use caution when handling sharp objects and hot contents. Please supervise children who are helping or nearby.